803 to LSF9

Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Just recently the new LSF9 env/apps has been completed (??). I have been tasked to test some of the application programs.

I have not have the success of running them so far. My question are:

1. Are there any differences between 803 and lsf9 applications like HR, AP, PO etc programwise?

2. Will LSF9 provides a new copy of the application (cobol programs)? 

Appreciate any help on this.

Sam

Greg Moeller
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
      Haven't gone so far as to install them yet, but from what the docs say, HR is going to see the greatest impact as far as changes in programs, database tables, etc, go. I'd suspect that all of the system codes will change a bit, but HR is going to see a great hit.
      Ben Coonfield
      Veteran Member
      Veteran Member
        You might have upgraded just the environment to LSF, or you might have upgraded both the environment and the (cobol) application programs at the same time. You can choose to to both together or separately. If you upgraded only the environment, then your cobol programs are unchanged (no new copy) and should look and act like they did before. If you updated the applications as well then there will be many changes.

If you access Lawson via a web browser rather than LID, you will see additional changes. Even if you did not upgrade the core applications (HR, AP, etc), web applications like Request Self Service, Employee Self Service, etc. will have additional changes, and the portal will have a new look.
        John Henley
          Sam, LSF9 is the environment. Applications have version numbers. For instance, you can run 8.0.3, 8.1, and 9.0 Applications on LSF9. An LSF9 migration by itself would not mean you have upgraded the applications. That is a separate upgrade process.
          Thanks for using the LawsonGuru.com forums!
          John
          John Henley
            AC & BR also have significant changes from 8.0.3 -> 9.0 apps.
            John
            Barry Ghotra
            Veteran Member
            Veteran Member

Just wanted to get one thing clarified. If you installed LSF 9.0 and have your apps currently running under 8.0.3 ESP 7 and apps on version 8.0.MSP11, how do you point or bring the 8.0.3 apps under the LSF 9 environment? In other words when you install LSF 9.0, how do you attach it or integrate it with 8.0.3.11 apps?

Thanks.

Ben Coonfield
              Veteran Member
              Veteran Member
                Posted By Barry Ghotra on 5/06/2008 7:55 AM

Just wanted to get one thing clarified. If you installed LSF 9.0 and have your apps currently running under 8.0.3 ESP 7 and apps on version 8.0.MSP11, how do you point or bring the 8.0.3 apps under the LSF 9 environment? In other words when you install LSF 9.0, how do you attach it or integrate it with 8.0.3.11 apps?

The process of moving your 8.0.3 MSP11 applications to a new LSF environment is basically a product line copy if you are familair with that process.  The existing application code is copied over to the LSF environment.  Programs will be recompiled, but not reinstalled and you probably will not need to install any application CTPs (Unless you are also using Self-service type applications too).  The product line copy procedure is described in the Application Maintenance Toolset Administration Guide Appendix.

Barry Ghotra
                Veteran Member
                Veteran Member

Thank you for the prompt reply. Let me see if I understood you. I have a TEST environment that has 8.0.3 ESP 7 environment and 8.0.3 MSP 11 apps running. I have installed all the components for LSF 9. I've Websphere running with variables (GENDIR, LAWDIR etc.) pointing to LSF 9.0 install. I know that one way to get things going is to install apps 9.0 within LSF 9.0 and use the upgrade menu and programs to migrate my 8.0.3 apps and data to 9.0.x apps/data.

But I was checking If I could break the process into two chunks and first bring the apps 8.0.3 under the LSF 9.0. Check things out and then start the 8.0.3 apps migration to 9.0.x. Are you saying that I need to do a fresh install of 8.0.3 apps under LSF 9.0 and then do a product line copy form current 8.0.3 apps to new 8.0.3 apps? In that case what happens to GEN etc. data as that's in the RDBMS now? Please help with some elaboration. Thank you for your time.

Ben Coonfield
                  Veteran Member
                  Veteran Member
                    You can do a product line copy from your 807 ESP7 productline using the procedure in the Application Maintenance Toolset appendix to your LSF environment. There is no need to do a fresh install of 8.0.3 apps first; the product line copy will take care of that.

The product line copy will add or copy over a few things in GEN that are product line specific, but it does not address most of the data in GEN (or LOGAN) databases, that would be a separate process. Other GEN data can usually be copied over with standard utilities, for example secdump/secload, ujobdump/ujobload, etc. But there is no mass copy of GEN data from the 803 environment to LSF, different pieces are copied over individually.

There are also some special migration utilities that whoever installed LSF for you should have access to that copy some GEN or LOGAN data, although I don't think that they do anything that you couldn't do by other methods.
                    Barry Ghotra
                    Veteran Member
                    Veteran Member
                      Thank you for the clarification. I will try that and let you know.
                      Barry Ghotra
                      Veteran Member
                      Veteran Member
                        Ben, could I ask you one more question please:
                        We never used portal or IOS in the past. First time we will be using lawson portal with 9.0 env/apps. Is there any way to convert an existing lawson 8.0 menu into lawson 9.0 bookmark? I would really appreciate any response to this post.

Thanks.
                        Ben Coonfield
                        Veteran Member
                        Veteran Member

Barry,

There is no automatic method I know of to convert a menu to a set of bookmarks.  If you are using Lawson's default menus, there is a set of default bookmarks that are probably equivalent, but if you have customized menus then you will need to build a customized set of bookmarks to provide the same function.  A little tedious, but creating new bookmarks is not difficult if you use the default bookmarks as examples.

Barry Ghotra
                          Veteran Member
                          Veteran Member
                            Thanks for the reply again. I tried the default bookmarks, but these don't get down to the actuall forms/reports. I see the main titles like (Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivables, Billing and Revenue, etc.) and only standard sub-funciton like (Flow Chart, Setup, etc..), but nothing underneath. Am I missing something? Do I need to give the users/roles these functions and then the users will see the actual stuff like AP10.1, CU01 etc.?

Thanks.
                            Ben Coonfield
                            Veteran Member
                            Veteran Member
                              I'm not on 9.0 apps yet, but if I open up the "Accounts Payable Process" top level bookmark I find the "Basic AP Process" bookmark -- with no lower level bookmarks under it. But invoking that link brings up a portal page, with links to additional forms once it is displayed. (e.g. Invoice Entry, Batch Control, etc.) The lower links are not bookmarks. I suspect that someone else can better describe how these are defined, but as you observe it is not via bookmarks. I believe that the Design Studio doc describes how these pages are defined & linked.
                              John Henley
                                Re: 803 to LSF9 (469b76e7-c203-4929-8f22-2470129896ee) <!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

I think you are referring to what used to be called the "flowcharts" (e.g., APFL)?  Those a simply a form with embedded tokens within the form/screen definition.
                                John Henley

John
                                John Henley
                                  Re: 803 to LSF9 (469b76e7-c203-4929-8f22-2470129896ee) <!-- Converted from text/plain format -->

Are you expanding to see the children?
                                  John Henley

John
                                  Barry Ghotra
                                  Veteran Member
                                  Veteran Member

Yes, I'm and I think we are all talking the same thing. In traditional LID, we have LAMN.0 as the main menu. Then APMN.0 as the "ACCOUNTS PAYABLE". From there if we click "setup", it invokes APMN.1 and within that, if we choose "Vendor Setup", it invokes the form AP10.1.

In portal, I see the base i.e, "Accounts Payable" and then "Setup" and if I edit it, it shows callking TOKEN APMN.1, but no children of FORM Id underneath that. Will I have to manually go and add these for the first time? Or is there a way to upload/configure the default stuff for all users and then create additional children on top of it?

Barry Ghotra
                                    Veteran Member
                                    Veteran Member
                                      In other words, do we take the default bookmarks and tie every form id or report to it, that we need to see. I would think that Lawson should have a default setup, that can be used as the starting template? Ben, when you say you see the forms etc. , did you get the bookmark on the left pane when you first log in?
                                      John Henley
                                        Lawson converts the xxMN menus to xxMX menus for Portal. As part of your install/build process [specifically the Portal content install], there are some post-install steps which load those into LOGAN.
                                        John
                                        Ben Coonfield
                                        Veteran Member
                                        Veteran Member
                                          Barry,

It looks like all my old menus are loaded in the portal, including a custom menu although I never realized it before. I was able to enter a menu name in the search and load any old menus such as LAMN.

Many of those lowest level bookmarks that were automatically loaded by Lawson appear to be pointing to menus rather than forms. But that isn't the only alternative -- that "Basic AP Process" bookmark I referred to before does not point to a form or a menu, but to a URL LAWPAGE|FILE=ap_basic_process.xml

That is the one that brings up a form, but also when the form comes up a set of links on the left hand side is displayed as well.
                                          Barry Ghotra
                                          Veteran Member
                                          Veteran Member
                                            Thanks Ben and John. Can one of you shed some light on what needs to happen. I thought I performed all the post-installation steps and then finally running the lo920? Maybe I missed something or it's a more of a Roles/Users permissions issue?
                                            John Henley

There are a lot of possibilities

Since you guys are new to portal, could it just be an issue of misunderstanding how portal and bookmarks work? 

Is this a new install of LSF9? Portal? Did the portal content get installed for 9.0 apps? For 8.0 apps? That's where I would concentrate.  There are some post install steps for portal content that figure out what system codes are installed and build the bookmarks and menus using some perl scripts and LO920. See the portal content install guide.

John
                                              You are not authorized to post a reply.